Monday, July 30, 2012

Sleep!

A few months ago, we "sleep trained" #1.  We did a modified Ferber method.  It really worked pretty well for us.  She got SO good at putting herself to sleep for naps and bedtime.  She didn't even come close to sleeping through the night.  However, as she was in my room that didn't surprise me.  Hod and I are enough to keep her awake.  (The flying squirrel is not a quiet move.)

Last week I spent 3 nights at my Mom's while family was visiting.  The first night was a living terror.  The second night was really good.  The third night left something to be desired but it could have been worse.  I was excited to come home so she could return to decent sleep in our home.  (Well... kind of decent.  She never sleeps for more than 3 hours in a row, but I needed her to get back to that.)

I don't know what happened, but she lost it.  It is like we never sleep trained at all.  When we put her to bed she SCREAMS for anywhere from 10 min to 70 min.  She does this for naps, for bed, always.  She has also started waking up at midnight and wanting to play.  No matter how much I haven't played with her she has still taken 2-3 hours to get back to sleep.  She has also learned how to pull herself up really well.  Last night I caught her as she jumped up while flinging her head forward and trying to get out of the crib.  So she spent the rest of the night with me, cause I was too tired to fix her crib.

Hod and I talked this morning.  We lowered her crib again and now I can not pick her up unless she is standing.  This makes night time feedings a problem.  Before, when she would wake up, I would help her lay down and then prop a bottle in her mouth.  (I know, you're not supposed to do that... it leads to ear infections.  I've been doing it for 6 months and she has never had an ear infection.)  I can not prop a bottle anymore.  So, this is what we did.  We spent the day rearranging one of the spare rooms, and moved her.  Tonight I will feed her once, but it must be after 1.  I am expecting a rough night with a lot of screaming.  I warned our downstairs neighbors and I'm a bit nervous.  But it just has to change!  Wish us luck!

In other news, for a bit of venting.... I really hate drivers sometimes.  Let me tell you probably my biggest driving pet peeve.  Imagine with me, cause I'm sure you've had this happen, that you are sitting at a stop sign and want to turn... let say right.  While you are waiting for a time you can go, another car pulls up next to you because they want to turn left.  However, they can't see past you, so they pull up further than you, thus blocking your view. Oh, do you not have this problem?  Are you in a van?  Cause I'm in a car.  I drive a cute little Mazda wagon. Me and my little "Zoom, Zoom" (or "swimsuit" if you know that story) car are short.  Vans, Jeeps, SUV's, large trucks, they are all a few feet taller than I am.  So, not only are they blocking my view with their length because they pull so far into the intersection, but with their height.  Many of them could look over my car, but they seem to forget that.  Then we can do the struggle of I pull out further, they pull out further and we are both going to get hit by cross traffic because we end up so far into the intersection, OR I can just be ticked and wait.  That is what normally happens.  But I was there first!  It also happens to me when I'm trying to turn left.  Why can't they wait their turn?  Or, look over my car.  Or look through my windows, they aren't tinted.  (I've looked through the windows before so I don't ruin their view.)  Really, please, do Paily a favor, and don't do this to people!  It is just rude.

*And, lest anyone think it is just a dumb thing where I am from, in the 4 states that I have lived in and driven in for over 6 months all have had this problem.*

Let us all be nice, and let us all hope that my daughter will sleep!

No comments: