Saturday, March 24, 2012

Getting Some Perspective

Today, I'm sitting home with a very sick baby.  And I'm a very sick Mom.  We both have a nasty cold, though I have NO idea where it came from.  Hod is working, so for the next 9 hours, it's just me, #1, and a large box of tissues.  I was feeling pretty sorry for myself.

Then my friend posted this video on Facebook.  Her daughter is in it... twice.  She's the little girl with a walker and "Determination", and then she is shown again with her diagnosis.  And she is one of the sweetest little girls I have ever met.  She has had more surgeries than I can count.  A cold like #1 has would put her in the hospital for days.  She is 2, and is just starting to walk. She is one large unknown, because there are only 250 documented cases like her, and most are under the age of 10.  But she is breaking all the rules.  Her parents were told she would never walk, never speak, and never be able to do most things a "normal" child would do.  But she does them, just a little slower, and maybe a little differently.  Her life will always be harder than mine, but she is always willing to give you a smile.

I realize that I only know a small piece of her, and her family's trials.  But as I watched this video, holding my pretty sick baby, I realized how easy we have it.  And I cried.  I cried out of gratitude, knowing that in a few days my girl will be physically fine.  I cried because of the sweet faces I saw of children with a harder life than I could imagine who face each day with hope.  I cried when I noticed some of these faces had finished their trial and had gone back home with Heavenly Father.

And I knew that my life is easy.


(It's long, but worth the watch.)

3 comments:

Miss Nelson said...

I watched this same video when our friend posted it on facebook. It's amazing! What amazing children of our Heavenly Father! Definitely a great video to put things in perspective. Thanks for reminding me how blessed I am! Love you! Hope you and #1 feel better soon!

Leann Nelson said...

Ok I totally got teary eyed! Thanks for sharing and helping me keep perspective too! Sure do love you guys and hope you get feeling better!

Lynn said...

I'm sitting her with tears in my eyes, life is hard, we can all do hard things, fun to recognize that cute little 2 yr. old!! hope you and #1 feel better soon!!